Home Page  |  Choose Language:   
Cultural Association of Andritsaina Activities

Except for founding the Folk Museum, the Cultural Association of Women of Andritsaina is very active all these years a far as it regards other significant projects, as:

PAVING PATHS WITH LOCAL STONE
CONSTRUCTION OF BUSTS
CARING FOR THE HISTORICAL SCHOOL (1796)
PRESERVING AND REPAIRING BYZANTINE CHURCHES

Andritsaina has to show many churches but also many chapels: many of them are in danger of being destroyed.

The cultural Association of Women - having in mind that all these sacred heirlooms, apart from exhibiting intellectual wealth, are also part of Andritsaina’s history, tried to save the most important of these heirlooms - collected money from the friends of the Association and habitants of Andritsaina, and took over preserving most of them as of today.

  • Repair and renovation of the Byzantine Temple of St Therapon. Paving the yard and construction of stone steps driving to the hill where the temple is located.

Background of St. Therapon temple:

According to tradition, St Therapon was the first church built in Andritsaina. It is possible that it was built by Cypriot refugees who arrived approximately in the 10th century and constructed the temple on the best site of Andritsaina (Mourmoureika). In 1826, it was burnt by Ibrahim, but was rebuilt by Andritsaina’s habitants in the same style. Its style is cross-like with cupola and three aisles. Every aisle has a Corinthian style column.

The Byzantine Temple of St Therapon The Byzantine Temple of St Therapon
The Byzantine Temple of St Therapon
  • Repair and renovation of the roof of the historical small temple dedicated to St. Athanasios. The temple has important murals destroyed by the Turks when leaving the area.

  • Disinsectisation and preservation of icons – chancel screens in St Nikolaos church (parish in the center of the town), St. Barbara church (parish at the western part, next to schools), St. Ioannis Prodromos church (at the lowest part), St. Marina church (parish at the western part).

Old epitaph of St Nikolaos church Old doors of St Nikolaos church
Old epitaph of St Nikolaos church Old doors of St Nikolaos church